Sunday, November 22, 2009

Artist Spotlight - Gera Scott Chandler

I've been toying with the idea of doing some artist interviews for quite awhile.  I'm always interested in how other artists, in all media, approach their work and thought you might be too.  So, with Thanksgiving approaching, and most of us thinking more than usual about what we are blessed with, it seems like the right time to start.  As there are so many amazing artists out there that deserve some added attention, I plan to make the Artist Spotlight a monthly feature. 

I am thankful that I met Gera Scott Chandler last February during the One World, One Heart blogging event.  Out of all the blogs I visited (hundreds!) during that chaotic event there have only been a handful that I've revisited and then tried to establish an online connection with the artist.  What is it about Gera's work that entices me?  Color and texture.  Texture and color, what else?  :)  She is a polymer clay artist and does beautiful work.  Not only that, but she seems to be a beautiful person (and loves to read).  Please take a look here, visit her blog and enjoy.


Where are you from?
I live in Victoria, which is a city on the southern tip of Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada.


What is your art education?
I taught elementary school for ten years with a prime focus on art education before heading to Emily Carr College of Art and Design. I was planning to focus upon Ceramics but ended formal art studies when I had my children. I used the computer as an at-home art school and explored paper arts and gourd art before becoming fascinated with polymer clay as a foundation medium.


Have you always been an artist or are you "new" to it?
I'm one of those people who has always been an artist... my earliest memories involve boxes of crayolas and the joy of a big new sketchbook.


What is your specialty? And, have you always worked in this medium?
My specialty is polymer clay. I've been using it in various capacities for almost 15 years.


What does your work space look like?
Between January 31st and February 26th, 2009 I blogged about the complete redesign of my studio. The finished pictures are here.   As I look at those pictures, I can't understand how something so crisply organized has turned into the chaotic environment that surrounds me now. I TRY to be organized but once I'm working I find it impossible to put anything where it's supposed to be. I've recently tidied up for an upcoming studio tour but I don't expect things to stay tidy for long.


Please describe your work.
I've undergone a huge shift in my approach in recent months and it's very exciting for me. I'm combining digital photography with polymer clay and found objects to make very organic three dimensional compositions on canvas. My current theme is west coast shores. 




Do you have any special art tips for others?
Experiment! I'm always surprised at how many people email me explaining an idea they've come up with and asking me if I think it would work....I'm always delighted to offer my two cents worth but why not try it yourself? The fun is trying, perhaps making and mistake but learning through the process of experimentation.


What inspires you?
A walk on the beach or through a garden, fashion magazines, random Google Image surf sessions and visits to art galleries and shows.


When you’re not making art, what are you doing?
Reading, watching TV (I’m an addict), noodling on the computer, gardening or trying to tidy up.


How can you be contacted about your work?
Please visit my blog at aMused Studio or email me at amusedcreations@shaw.ca.  Gera also has an Etsy shop with lots of cool things.






Thanks very much Gera for sharing your work and part of your life with us!


Lorrie

3 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

I love that you are doing this. I enjoyed reading Gera's comments and think I will become a regular at her blog.

Kathy L said...

Oh what lovely work. I love hearing about other artists and Lorrie, you are one ambitious girl! Thanks so much for the new blog to visit!
k

Lorrie Grainger Abdo said...

Glad you ladies liked it. Gera is very talented and I'm happy to pass her information along. Not many people commented but my readership numbers doubled after the post, so lots of people must be interested in her and her work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails