Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Waiting for the Opportunity at the Signature Artist Cooperative Exhibit

In my last post I left you with a cliff hanger. My mixed media piece for the Signature Artist Cooperative exhibition called Earth: Power and Fragility was being created with lots of wonderful blues and browns and then...


it went black.  On purpose.  I get a great patina by using some stuff called bitumen (tar).

It gets rubbed off with mineral spirits.  More paint went on top.  Some oil pastels too.


The finished piece.  Picture shows it a bit more tourquois than it really is.


Me at the show opening on April 9, 2011.  This show is up at the Kalamazoo Nature Center until May 31.  It's a beautiful show space and the work of all the Signature artists is super.    Call the Nature Center for their hours at 269-381-1574.



I like the water a lot on this piece.  In fact, I like it so much that I built upon this idea for my Art 105/Painting final.  Pictures of that soon.

Lorrie


3 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

It really turned out beautifully.

last minute lynn said...

Wow, lots of steps to make this beauty! It is terrific!

Kathy L said...

I knew it was tar! OK so now I want to try that, do you buy bitumen at like a home depot and do you have to buy it by the gallon? I just want to play with it for now :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails