Here are pictures from Days 3 and 4...
Step 5: Paint the spackle with house paint, again. Let dry thoroughly. I'm not sure I need all these layers of paint, but I'd rather have too many layers than too few. Some of it may end up showing up again as an underlayer. If I do more work in this style I'll get a better feel for what must be done and what short cuts I can take. At this point, I really feel like I'm constructing a piece of art rather than painting it.
Step 6: Spray paint certain areas. Dry.
Step 7: Use heat gun to bring up bubbles. Don't burn down house. When the canvas starts smoking it's time to take a break! Lots of fumes so I work outside. The use of spray paint and the heat gun is bit tricky because I want more control than these tools allow. I find myself using scraps of wood to block out certain areas to keep paint/bubbles away. It works but is awkward. Day 3 ends with not much visible progress but the efforts will show up as I continue.
Step 8: Paint, paint, paint. Dry. Spray with a fixative. My neck hurts from bending over the table all day. Wow, looks a lot different by the end of day 4! Now I feel like I'm creating instead of constructing.
Here's a close up so you can see the texture a bit better. I really like what I've got so far. Tomorrow is the Be Really Brave day. Stay tuned as I continue with this adventure...